Sealcoating Experts in Atlanta, GA
Sealcoating is one of the most important elements of a pavement management plan. Air, sunlight, and moisture are a major cause of surface deterioration. Progressive weakening, erosion, oxidation, and unravelling due to water and weather damage can reduce pavement thickness by as much as 50%! If not kept in check, costly repairs or resurfacing may be necessary. Sealcoating helps to protect your asphalt from the elements and can be utilized in a variety of ways on your property.
Benefits of sealcoating
At Blackjack Paving, our expert team of sealcoating specialists can help give your business the treatment it deserves so your asphalt continues to perform at the highest level possible. We have the tools and resources to help you with your commercial sealcoating needs. There are many benefits of sealcoating your property, these include:
- Beautification: When covered with a dark black sealant, pavement looks and wears like new. Parking lot sealcoating helps to project a positive image for your business, facility, or complex. This is especially important for commercial properties.
- Slows oxidation and water penetration: Sealcoating fills surface voids, which reduces exposure to oxygen and UV rays and reduces the depth to which oil or gas can penetrate the pavement. Sealcoating acts as a waterproofing agent, minimizing the rate at which water enters the pavement. Without it, water can permeate more freely resulting in a freeze/thaw expansion and contraction cycle of the pavement.
- Sealcoating resists oil and gas spills: Gasoline dripping from a topped-off fuel tank during hot weather can soften and break down unsealed asphalt pavements. Coal tars used in sealcoat are impervious to gas and oil spills.
- Asphalt seal coating is easier to clean and maintain: Sealcoats fill surface voids while coating the pavement surface. The resulting smooth and even texture makes the surface easier to maintain year-round. For example, snow is easier to remove from a smooth surface, and sweeping is far more effective on a smooth surface. You will notice the results during cleaning year-round with our sealcoating.
- Sealcoating increases pavement flexibility: Sealcoat brings a dark black color to the pavement. The blacker it is, the more heat a pavement draws from the sun. And, the hotter it gets, the more pliable it becomes, which helps it to withstand traffic without cracking.
- Protects asphalt from pressure washing: Restaurant parking lots often extend to areas near dumpsters, where food-processing machines are pressure washed. Food waste near the dumpsters may also need to be washed away if it can’t be swept away. Sealcoating protects asphalt cement from the high-volume water pressure and detergents used in pressure washing. Our team has vast experience helping our business customers get the most from their commercial sealcoating in addition to overall planning and logistics with regards to your asphalt parking lot.
- Asphalt sealcoating is cost effective: The price of asphalt will always be affected by crude oil prices, which fluctuate when supplies vary. Sealcoating preserves asphalt for pennies per square foot, which is especially important for your business’s bottom line.
Technical aspects of asphalt and sealcoating
Asphalt is a very complex mixture of chemicals with very little saturation in their molecular structure. The structure is considered “open chain” or “asphaltic,” which provides easy access to weather, salts, and chemicals which in turn disintegrate the asphalt itself. This will result in loss of its original properties such as binding and waterproofing. Typically, the first visual sign of this loss is the “graying” of the asphalt from its original rich, black look.
Asphalt is derived from the petroleum distillation process and when additional byproducts meet, such as oils, fats, grease, mineral spirits, etc. they have a natural affinity to join together. When automotive oil or gasoline leak onto the pavement, they work to quickly dissolve the similar chemicals in asphalt. These problems are primarily associated with off-street areas such as parking lots, minor roads, airport aprons or runways, service stations and driveways.
Highways and major streets have the advantage of continuous rolling traffic which creates a kneaded oxidation effect back into the pavement, creating a longer visual and strength advantage. Off-street pavements do not have the advantage of the kneading action. The surface layers of off-road pavements are under continuous attack from the weather and other destructive elements, eventually developing minor surface cracks.
Eventually all asphalt life is exhausted and begins to unravel, evolving into minor cracks which widen and deepen with time. If water seeps into the cracks, it allows the load capacity to falter. This results in rutting, shifting, and serious alligatoring of the pavement. It is logical to conclude that off-street pavements can be preserved by a protective sealcoating that resists the attack of elements that destroy the asphalt anyway.
Is it time to sealcoat your property?
Time, weather, and wear can be hard on paved areas and parking lots. Warning signs include:
- Small cracks can often be solved with asphalt repair, but very large or extensive networks of cracks may be best addressed with new paving.
- Deep ruts or wheel tracks caused by heavy vehicles or frequent traffic are a sign that your parking lot or access areas should be repaved.
- Breakdown of your previous asphalt is characterized by widespread damage, including potholes, worn or rutted areas, cracking, and other signs of deterioration. The best solution for this condition is new paving for a clean slate.
Sealcoating your commercial property is a smart and simple move that will instantly improve curb appeal and safety.
Get a free sealcoating estimate in Atlanta today!
Why Choose Us?
- Free Estimates Available
- High Service Level
- Large Service Area
- Self Performing All Work with Our Own Equipment